William Miles McLeod
March 20, 1930 - November 28, 1950
Billy Miles McLeod was born March 20, 1930 to Malcolm and Norma McLeod in Cheboygan, Michigan. Seventy seven years later in January 2008 he was buried with full military honours in Pine Hill Cemetery in Cheboygan.
In the meantime, he joined the US Military and was deployed to Korea. He was killed in action at Chosin Reservoir on November 28, 1950 in a battle where Chinese forces killed 20,000 American soldiers. He was awarded the:
- the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster,
- the Combat Infantryman's Badge,
- the Korean Service Medal,
- the United Nations Service Medal,
- the National Defense Service Medal and
- the Korean War Service Medal.
Private First Class Billy McLeod's body was discovered in a mass grave in 2002. His brother Burnie submitted DNA that enabled the Army to identify Billy's remains in 2007.